Malwarebytes’ Junkware Removal Tool (JRT.exe)
I thought this was some kind of malware, when I initially saw it, on a customer’s computer. So, I did a little research. JRT.exe is produced by Malwarebytes, a leader in malware detection and removal tools.
Here’s the quick breakdown:
How it works for you
- Removes adware that spawn popup ads, such as Conduit
- Uninstalls unwanted toolbars and browser helper objects, including the Ask and Babylon toolbars
- Removes potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)
- Cleans up traces left behind by PUPs
What it does for you
- Toolbar removal functionality
- Browser extension removal functionality (Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer)
- PUPs and adware removal functionality
- Light footprint
- Portable application—no installation necessary
I’ve used it only a few times, but I’ll be keeping JRT.exe in my “bag of tricks”, for future use.